December 25, 2012 by Joanne T Ferguson
Opened my pantry, what did I see?
Dried porcini, dried shiitake mushrooms STARING back at me!
It was then I thought, I have ALWAYS wanted to make pate,
And what better day to make this treat than on Christmas Day!
Quick and easy to do,
Love the versatility and great entertaining dish for when those “unexpected” guests show up too!
I would recommend combining a variety of mushrooms to enhance the flavor
15 grams dried porcini mushrooms*
15 grams dried shiitake mushrooms*
470 grams mushrooms (I used portabello with 4 large caps mushrooms)
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
120 grams feta, crumbled
2 tablespoons port
2 tablespoons finely chopped curly-leaf parsley
Salt and pepper, to taste
Crackers, to serve
1. Heat oil in large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, or until golden brown.
2. Add dried and fresh mushrooms and cook for 8 – 10 minutes. Add port, toss to coat and set aside.
3. In a food processor, add mushroom mixture and blend until finely chopped. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Add in feta cheese and pulse until smooth, adding water is required. (I used 3 tablespoons)
5. Stir through parsley. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
* NOTE: No need to pre-soak the dried mushrooms
Please let me know what you think and if you would like to make this too!